Story of a JSON XSS


Hi folks,
This post is about of one of my recent my finding in a bug bounty program. I started checking the application for common vulnerabilities but got nothing after spending an hour I came across an endpoint which looks as follows.
If you look at request and response you will see the value of status parameter is reflecting back in the response. So I tried replacing the value of status parameter and same reflected back in the response as shown in below.
What next? Let’s check for XSS with a simple payload as shown in below.
But angle brackets getting filtered, after I tried some encodings but nothing worked. So I was about to give up but suddenly i decided to try array tricks.
So you can see whatever we write inside the round brackets is reflecting back in response as it becomes associated array as follows
Status   Equals JSON object
<haha> Equals Key of JSON object
Test      Equals value JSON object
Let’s check again for XSS with a simple payload
So now angle brackets working for us but what if we apply = here
This will break the query and that is why we are getting null value. Next I tried URL encoding which worked for me as shown in below figure
Now we are all set to make the final payload.
And finally we need a CSRF POC in order to exploit it. 

But the userid parameter was impossible to guess although i checked other end-points as well to get userid but don't get success and reported this vulnerability, they fixed it quickly because the entire website was using the same concept to display JSON data. And at last rewarded with decent bounty ;)
Thanks for reading

Comments

  1. Great find and great write-up!!! More to come from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what if any of the parameter does not got reflected in response? Is is still possible to inject? I've tried to inject a new parameter, tried to inject into the parameter but nothing went good for me :/ any suggestion?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also another issue here is the content type in response is set to text/html which should be set to json

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you think if Content-Type would have been "Application/json", then it would have been executed on browser? Asking this because I just tried this in one of the applications and it is reflecting in response but Content-Type is Application/json.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Post, I agree with Suraj if the content type in the response shows Application/json then we cannot do anything. I see here the response was in text/html.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Superb post man..Thanks for contributing to community..cheers..!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How I bypassed 2-Factor Authentication in a bug bounty program